Grab your Roasted Beef and Au Jus Sauce…
1 Chuck Roast
1 Cup Chopped Bacon/Pancetta
3 TBSP. Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic
Quartered Sweet Potatoes
2 Sprigs fresh Thyme
Pinch of Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to Taste
4 TBSP. Red Wine or 2 TBSP. Brandy
- Put 3 TBSP. of olive oil into a large cast iron skillet. Then add the garlic and saute for a minute or so.
- Add all of the sliced root vegetables and the thyme. Saute until the carrots are browned.
- Season vegetables with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook a little while longer.
- Remove the vegetables from the cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Brown all side of the roast in the cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Add the wine or brandy and cook until it evaporates.
- Off the heat, remove the roast from the skillet and add 2/3 of the bacon to the bottom of the skillet.
- Place the roast on top of the bacon and then add the vegetables.
- Place the remaining bacon on top of the roast.
- Add a bit more red wine to the vegetables.
- Cook in the oven at 250 degrees for about 2 hours until tender.
Source: Silver Spoon Italian Cookbook