Grab your Roasted Beef and Au Jus Sauce…
There is no denying that beef short ribs are the most delicious cut of meat off the entire cow.
They are meaty and packed with so much flavor. They are the perfect comfort food for cool fall nights. Best yet, they are so easy to make.
2 TBSP. vegetable oil
5 lbs. Lilly Den Farm bone-in short ribs,
Sea Salt and Pepper
2 Large heads garlic, smashed
1 Onion, chopped
4 Stalks celery, chopped
2 Carrots, chopped
Small can tomato paste
2 Cups red wine
2 Cups beef stock or bone broth
4 Sprigs thyme
1 Cup parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper. Sear short ribs on all sides until browned. It is best to work in batches. This is an important step to lock all those delicious juices in.
- Once all the short ribs are seared and beautifully browned, reduce heat to medium and add garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes until vegetables are softened, then add tomato paste and stir. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tomato paste has started to caramelize a bit on the bottom and up the edges of the pot, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add red wine and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned or caramelized bits. Let this simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beef stock along with thyme. Place the short ribs back into the pot, along with any juices that have accumulated. Bring to a simmer on the stove top, then cover and transfer to oven.
- Cook, undisturbed, until short ribs are falling off the bones, 3 1/2 – 4 hours.
- Serve with white rice and enjoy