Grab your Roasted Beef and Au Jus Sauce…
1 Large Eggplant, Unpeeled,Cut In 1/2 Inch Cubes
1 Large Onion, Chopped
1 Green Pepper, Seeded And Chopped
6 Ripe Tomatoes, Chopped (Or 1 Large Can Crushed Tomatoes)
1/2 Cup Chopped Green Olives
3 Cloves Minced Garlic
1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano
1 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil
1 Tablespoon Capers, Chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a large enameled or stainless steel pot.
- Bring to a healthy simmer, stirring occasionally.
- You can cook this over low heat uncovered for about an hour, or cover it and cook it over very low heat for several hours.
- The slow stewing method blends the flavors very nicely, and the caponata is great reheated.
- Serve with garlic bread or croistini.
- If you decide to freeze this, it will stay for 2 months.